When a motorcyclist is struck by a car, truck, or other large vehicle, the resulting injuries and losses can be catastrophic. Motorcycle riders don’t have the same protections vehicle occupants have, so it’s likely that the damage will be significantly worse. If you’ve been in a crash, seeking legal representation is the best way to ensure you receive the compensation you need to recover.
When you work with a Morgantown motorcycle accident lawyer from DiPiero Simmons McGinley & Bastress, PLLC, you’ll be able to focus on recovering from your injuries, instead of worrying about the litigation process. We’ll manage your case for you and keep you informed every step of the way.
Motorcycle Crashes in Morgantown
While motorcycles give riders certain freedoms that you won’t find in a typical passenger vehicle, they are inherently more dangerous. The lack of surrounding protection and the presence of only two wheels puts the rider at risk, especially if they lose their balance or are hit by another vehicle.
Motorcycle wrecks in West Virginia are not uncommon and the results are often deadly. According to the Department of Transportation, per 100,000 population, the death rate in West Virginia after a bike wreck is higher than the national average. Nearly a quarter of motorcyclists who died after a crash were not wearing helmets. Additionally, one of the most common causes of collisions is driving under the influence. 31.9% of fatally injured motorcycle operators were shown to have a blood alcohol concentration higher than zero. The second most common cause of accidents is speeding.
If you’ve been in an accident in Morgantown, you could be facing serious injuries. That’s why the most important step to take after an accident is to seek medical attention. The doctors and medical professionals that attend to you will be able to determine the extent of your injuries and work to ensure you receive the treatments you need to recover as quickly as possible.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The severity of motorcycle accident injuries depends on a number of factors including the speed at which the crash took place, the vehicle involved, the presence of a helmet or protective gear, and the type of accident. Some of the most common motorcycle wreck injuries include:
- Head Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Broken Bones
- Neck Injuries
- Severe Lacerations
- Internal Organ Damage
Injuries like that can take months, if not longer, to recover from. The process may be long and painful, which is why it’s best to work with a lawyer who can manage your legal affairs while you focus on healing.
While the injuries listed above are a possibility after a wreck, one of the most common motorcycle accident-related injuries is road rash. This injury occurs when skin comes into contact with the road surface at high speeds to the point that the skin is scraped off. There are different degrees of road rash. While a minor case may only result in mild pain and swelling, redness, and warmth, and the most severe cases can result in blood poisoning and death.
When road rash is significant, doctors treat it like a burn. This means that the area is regularly cleaned and covered. Depending on the severity, skin grafting could be used. This is when healthy skin from another part of the body is transplanted over the injured area and put in place with staples or stitches.
The Benefits of Working with a Personal Injury Lawyer
You may be considering handling your case on your own, but this could put your compensation in jeopardy. Navigating legal paperwork and difficult conversations with adjusters can be a challenge, especially if you’re dealing with pain from injuries or mental trauma. That’s why it’s in your best interests to work with an attorney who can guide you through the claims process. The benefits of working with a lawyer include:
- Meeting Deadlines. Certain deadlines, like the statute of limitations, will affect your claim. You could run into trouble with receiving your compensation if you miss any of the deadlines. We’ll make sure everything is submitted on time.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Insurance Law. There are a number of laws that will impact your case. Neglecting to follow the claims process exactly could result in dismissal of your case. We’ll ensure everything is properly filed so you don’t run into any issues. We also have a comprehensive understanding of the liability laws in West Virginia, which will help prove fault.
- Knowing What You’re Entitled To. Understanding the full extent of your accident-related losses can be confusing. We’ll take into account the economic and noneconomic damages, so everything is accounted for. We’ll also look into the possibility of future losses.
- Ability to Negotiate. Insurance companies are focused on maintaining and improving their bottom line. As a result, adjusters will often offer you the lowest settlement possible. Our attorneys have the knowledge and experience to get you full and fair compensation, without you having to worry about handling negotiations.
- Representation in Court. While the majority of accident claims are settled outside of court, we’re prepared to represent you if your case does go to trial.
Get Legal Help Today
If you’re ready to expedite your recovery process and take care of your financial losses, get in touch with our law firm. The sooner you file a claim, the better your chances are of receiving the compensation you need to get back on your feet. When we first meet, we’ll start by providing you with a no-obligation consultation where we evaluate your situation and help you determine how to proceed.