Injuries from an auto wreck can be devastating. When the physical consequences of a crash are combined with financial burdens and emotional stress, recovery is difficult. Fortunately for accident victims, the justice system allows them to take control of their situation and seek compensation for their losses. If you’ve been in a collision, seeking representation from a Huntington car accident lawyer is the best way to ensure you receive the compensation you need to get your life back in order.
Fatal Car Accidents in Huntington
Nestled in Cabell and Wayne Counties, Huntington is no stranger to car accidents. Even though one of the state’s eight regional traffic safety programs is located in the city, distracted driving, impaired driving, speeding, and other reckless behaviors behind the wheel contribute to a number of injuries and fatalities every year.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations’ (NHTSA) Analysis of Fatal Crash Data in West Virginia, 4.2% of the state’s auto accident fatalities happen in Huntington on an annual basis. The high percentage of fatalities is partially attributed to the fact that Huntington has the second-highest urbanized area mileage by county, at 525.54 miles.
If you’ve been in a wreck and have lost a loved one, you can take legal action on their behalf to hold the responsible party accountable. If you choose to do so, it’s imperative you meet the state’s deadline for filing.
Statute of Limitations in West Virginia
Every state has statutes of limitations for filing civil claims, which are essentially deadlines. These time limits are established to ensure the integrity of physical evidence and witnesses. As time passes, evidence may be less convincing, and witnesses are more likely to forget information.
If it’s been some time since your accident, you may be wondering how much time you have left to file a claim for damages. Car accidents most often result in personal injury and property damage. According to West Virginia Code Chapter 55, a person has two years to file a claim to seek compensation.
The day of the accident is typically the start date for the statute of limitations. There are some exceptions, however. If, for example, your doctor discovers additional injuries related to the accident months down the line, your attorney may be able to have your statute of limitations extended.
If you miss the statute of limitations for filing, it’s likely your case will be dismissed without review. This is just one of the reasons why it’s so important to work with an attorney if you’re dealing with a personal injury claim.
The Importance of Working with a Lawyer
Whether you’re considering representing yourself or you’re doubting your need to file a car accident claim at all, it’s important to understand that working with a lawyer is in your best interests. Neglecting to do so hurts your chances of receiving the compensation you’re rightfully owed. If that happens, you could run into financial troubles if you need to take time off work or when it comes time to pay your medical bills. In addition to improving your chances of receiving full and fair compensation, working with an experienced personal injury attorney is important for the following reasons:
- Experience with Insurance Companies. Part of pursuing compensation for a car accident typically involves negotiating with the opposing party’s insurance company. The adjuster will most likely try to look for ways to reduce your settlement offer. We know how to negotiate with insurance companies so as to get you the highest settlement offer possible.
- Objectivity. Pain, fear, and anger are common emotions after a wreck. They, however, can cloud your judgment and impact your ability to see the facts clearly. While you might be tempted to settle the matter as quickly as possible, your attorney has the ability to be more objective about your case, which puts your best interests first.
- Experience Assessing Claims. While it’s common to think of medical bills and lost wages as losses after a collision, there are a number of other factors that go into determining compensation. Your lawyer will know to consider the future cost of care, future lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. This will ensure you seek full compensation and aren’t left with surprise debt later on.
- Investigative Abilities. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident, proving fault could be challenging. Fortunately, our car accident lawyers have the resources and skills needed to pursue a successful investigation. We’ll be able to determine why and how your accident happened, so the negligent party is held accountable.
- Reduced Stress. When you’re worried about missing time from work and trying to focus on recovering from your injuries, dealing with a car accident claim is likely the last thing on your mind. We’ll handle the paperwork and difficult conversations for you, so you don’t have that added stress.
Schedule a Consultation Today
The first step to filing a personal injury claim is contacting our office. You can submit a free case evaluation online or give our office a call. You’ll be paired with an experienced attorney who can help you build a strong claim against the driver that caused your accident. With our help, you could have access to the monetary recovery you need to get your life back in order as quickly as possible.
While we’re based in Charleston, we’re proud to serve the residents of Huntington. If you want to take legal action, a Huntington car accident lawyer from DiPiero Simmons McGinley & Bastress, PLLC is ready to evaluate your case.