At DiPiero Simmons McGinley & Bastress, PLLC, we believe that money shouldn’t get in the way of one’s dreams. Since 2018, our law firm has proudly offered a scholarship for students who are in need of financial assistance to pursue a higher education.
This year, we are changing our scholarship and dedicating it to the memory of Sean Patrick McGinley, who we unexpectedly lost in 2021. Sean McGinley was more than a dear friend and colleague to all of us. He was a skilled attorney and litigator, loving father and husband, and faithful benefactor and advocate of the local community here in Charleston, West Virginia.
Sean believed in doing everything he could to provide his services to the local community and its youth. In his honor, we will be offering a total of three $1,000 scholarships to recent high school graduates who reside in West Virginia and are planning to attend college or university starting in Fall 2022.
The last open submission for our scholarship was for Fall 2022. Submissions are now CLOSED. We announced the winners here.
To be eligible to receive a scholarship, you must:
- Have graduated from high school during 2022 or will graduate in 2022
- Have graduated from a high school anywhere in West Virginia
- Live in West Virginia or have lived in West Virginia when you graduated from high school
- Be planning to attend a college or university in Fall 2022 (in any state)
To be awarded a scholarship, you will need to submit an application with the required information and documents detailed below as well as write a 500+ word essay about community service. What do you contribute toward the betterment of your local community or what are your plans for helping others? Tell us about what you do or your plans in as much detail as you can.
If you meet the qualifications as listed above, you may submit an application to potentially receive one of the three Sean Patrick McGinley scholarships by emailing us the following:
- Your completed 500+ word essay on the topic listed above. Your essay should be attached as a .DOC, .DOCX, or .PDF file. Please adhere to MLA formatting guidelines when submitting your essay.
- Digital proof (as either a .PDF or .JPG/.PNG screenshot) of your college acceptance letter.
- In the body of your email, please include your name, address, phone number, and the name of your planned college.
Please send your completed applications to email@example.com. We look forward to reading your applications!